Bike Touring from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh 21Days
Itinerary: Hanoi – Luong Son – Cao Phong –Mai chau – Canh Nang – Cam Thuy – Tho Xuan – Yen Cat – Thai Hoa – Huong Khe – Xuan Son – Phong Nha – Khe Sanh – A Luoi – Hue – Hoi An – Quang Ngai – Quy Nhon – Tuy Hoa – Nha Trang – Da Lat – Di Linh – Dai Ninh – Mui Ne – Binh Chau – Vung Tau – TP Ho Chi Minh
Riding a mountain bike along the byways of Vietnam is a most rewarding way to experience the beautiful scenery of coast, plains and highlands, plus interact with the local people. We begin our journey from historic Hanoi in the north, travelling by the same mode as the local people. Visit the beautiful cities of Hue and Hoi An rich in history and architecture; relax in the blue waters of idyllic Nha Trang, then leave the coast for the mountain retreat of Dalat. The trip concludes in modern Ho Chi Minh City. The warmth and hospitality of the many, many Vietnamese people we meet along the way will add to a rich and diverse experience.
Day 1: Road Biking Hanoi – Luong Son – Cao Phong -Mai chau – 145km
Day 2: Road Biking Mai Chau – Canh Nang
Day 3: Road Biking Canh Nang – Cam Thuy – Tho Xuan – Yen Cat – 117km
Day 4 : Road Biking Yen Cat – Thai Hoa – Huong Khe(Ha Tinh) – 239km
Day 5: Road Biking Huong Khe – Xuan Son – Phong Nha – 134km
Day 6: Road Biking Phong Nha – Khe Sanh – 171km
Day 7: Road Biking Khe Sanh – A Luoi – 106km
Day 8: Road BikingA Luoi – Hue
Day 9: Hue
Day 10:Road Biking Hue – Lang Co
Day 11: Road Biking Lang Co – Hoi An
Day 12: Road Biking Hoi An – Quang Ngai – 151km
Day 13: Road Biking Quang Ngai – Binh Dinh – Quy Nhon – 173km
Day 14: Road Biking Quy Nhon – Tuy Hoa(Phu Yen) – 94km
Day 15: Road Biking Tuy Hoa – Nha Trang – 149km
Day 16: Road Biking Nha Trang – Da Lat – 137km
Day 17: Road Biking Da Lat – Di Linh – Dai Ninh – Mui Ne(Phan Thiet) – 165km
Day 18: Road Biking Mui Ne – Binh Chau – Vung Tau – 162km
Day 19: Road Biking Vung Tau – TP Ho Chi Minh
Day 20: Road Biking Sai Gon – Cu Chi
Day 21: Road Biking Ho Chi Minh City – Departure
Day 1: Hanoi – Luong Son – Cao Phong -Mai chau – 145km
– TLV Bike Tours Leave Hanoi at about 08.00am for 1.5 hour road transfer along national road 6 to Luong Son.
– Start biking from Luong Son along a narrow and quiet country tarmac for 2.5 hours through hilly land featured with tea and sugar caine plantation of Kim Boi District via Bai Trao to Cao Phong.
– Lunch break in Cao Phong.
– Continue biking after lunch along national road 6 to Thung Khe Mountain Pass. Some may love to conquer this steep pass, some wish to take vehicle for transfer uphill to the top of the pass.
– Biking downhill from the top of Thung Khe Pass to Tong Dau junction, turn left to the narrow tarmac for 6km throguh Mai Chau Valley.
– Arriving to Mai Chau Lodge or homestay in Village at about 05.00pm, check in and spend about an hour to explore the charming village of the Thai ethnic peoples.
Day summary: Road transfer 65km/ biking 80km approx 5 hours Acc: Mai Chau Lodge or homestay in Pom Coong Village.
Day 2: Mai Chau – Canh Nang
– Leave Mai Chau after breakfast, biking along the narrow road 15 which was the starting portion of Ho Chi Minh trail in the war time first through beautiful valley with rice fields of Mai Chau District and later through bamboo forest where the road winds up and down along the Ma River to all the way to Canh Nang. Lunch along the way.
– There are plenty time to day for visiting villages of the Thai and Muong along the way.
– Arriving in Canh Nang, a small and quiet town let set on the bank of the Ma River at about 5.00pm, check in hotel and free to explore the town let and contryside.
Day summary: Road transfer 0km/ biking 60km approx 5 hours Acc: Local basic hotel.
Day 3: Canh Nang – Cam Thuy – Tho Xuan – Yen Cat – 117km
– Green Trail Tours Leave Canh Nang after breakfast and cycle 40km along the narrow road 15 through the midland of Thanh Hoa Province, along the Ma River to Cam Thuy. Lunch break in this beautiful town let.
– Continue biking 23km along Ho Chi Minh road which offers beautiful ride on quiet asphalt through the midland of Cam Thuy District of Thanh Hoa Province featured with lush sugar caine farms and plantation covering the hilly land and green rice fields. Stop for paying visit to the historical site of Lam Kinh(Historical legiondary region of Le Loi uphillval in 15th Century).
– Continue biking for another hour to Doc Mit, picked up for a short transfer to Yen Cat town let, check in hotel and relax.
Day summary: Road transfer 30km/ biking max 87km approx 6 hours/ Stay overnight in Yen Cat – Local basic hotel.
Day 4 : Yen Cat – Thai Hoa – Huong Khe(Ha Tinh) – 239km
– Breakfast and Green Trail Tours leave Yen Cat at about 08.00am for 55km biking for the whole morning. Lunch break in Yen Cat.
– Transfer along Ho Chi Minh road for about 2 hours after lunch via Do Luong, Nam Dan to Kim Lien Village. Spend half an hour to visit to the house where Ho Chi Minh was born and brought up before proceesing to Dong Loc junction.
– Biking again for about 2 hours from mid afternoon getting through the wild region of Huong Khe District, Ha Tinh Province. Arriving to Huong Khe town let before it gets dark, check in hotel, dinner and relax.
Day summary: Road transfer 149km/ biking max 90km approx 6 hours/ Stay overnight in Huong Khe – Local basic hotel.
Day 5: Huong Khe – Xuan Son – Phong Nha – 134km
– Leave Huong Khe after breakfast and biking 1.5 hour along the narrow road 15 for 20km to Tan Son junction and follow Ho Chi Minh road which winds its way up and down hills and mountains which covered by thick rain forest, passing over several mountain passes for 2 hours to Yen Thanh. There is chances to visit some small villages of the Muong and Ruc tribal peoples along the way. Green Trail Tours Lunch break in Yen Thanh.
– Afternoon tour, heading to Phong Nha, is a combination of road transfer and biking because there are several tough ascending in this portion, especially the Da Deo Pass between Ha Tinh and Quang Binh Provinces. This portion also offers the most spectacular and magnificent landscapes so far.
– Arriving to Xuan Son in near Phong Nha Cave in mid afternoon, take 2 hours boat trip to explore the famous Phong Nha Cave, the longest river tunnel in Vietnam.
– Back to Xuan Son town let, check in hotel and relax.
Day summary: Road transfer 64km/ biking max 70km approx 4 hours/ Boat trip 2 hours/ Stay overnight in Xuan Son- Local basic hotel.
Day 6: Phong Nha – Khe Sanh – 171km
– From Xuan Son, the former Ho Chi Minh trails had several different routes to go further to the South, there are even 2 branches ggetting through the border to Lao’s tetitory. However the biking today will follow the west branch of the Ho Chi Minh road which goes along the border with Laos for the whole day to Khe Sanh. There are several historical sites of the war against the US remaining such as part of the former Ho Chi Minh trail, bridges and cemetery as well as hiltribal villages…The tour today is also a combaination of biking and road transfer.
– Arriving to Khe Sanh town let in mid afternoon, spend an hour to visit the museum of Khe Sanh before check in hotel, dinner and relax.
Day summary: Road transfer 80km/ biking max 91km approx 5 hours/ Stay overnight in Khe Sanh- Local basic hotel.
Day 7: Khe Sanh – A Luoi – 106km
– Green Trail Tours Leaving Khe Sang after breakfast for 11km biking along road 9 to Ka Lu junction with a stop to visit Lang Vay, famous historical site of the fierce fighting in 1968 and 1972.
– Then cross the Dak Krong River by a suspension bridge and then follow Ho Chi Minh road again for about nearly 2 hours to A Lieng. This portion offers scenery of the wild nature as well as a lot traces of the war with Amerian army. Lunch break in A Lieng.
– Continue biking after lunch for over 3 hours to A Luoi. Upon arrival to A Luoi pay visiting to the former site of the A Luoi Valley.
– Check in a local hotel here, dinner and free to explore this newly built town let.
Day summary: Road transfer 20km/ biking max 86km approx 5 hours/ Stay overnight in A Luoi – Local basic hotel.
Day 8: A Luoi – Hue
– Breakfast and then cycle along road 49 mostly downhill for 52km to Hue. Enjoy great view of the coastal region as you get out of the tropical forest.
– Arriving in Hue at noon, check in hotel and enjoy the whole afternoon at your leisure.
Day summary: Road transfer 0km/ biking 52km approx 3 hours/ Stay overnight in Hue – Hotel.
Day 9: Hue
– Full day tour Hue including the visit to the ancient citadel, boat trip along Huong River and a visit to the cemetary of King Khai Dinh.
– Stay overnight in Hue. Enjoy dinner with sample of royal music.
Day 10: Hue – Lang Co
– Green Trail Tours Leave Hue in the morning, transfer 15km out of the busy city to Phu Bai and enjoy 2 hours easy biking along the coastal line to Lang Co
– Check in the Lang Co Beach resort and relax on the beautiful sandy beach for the whole afternoon.
Day summary: Road transfer 15km/ biking 54km approx 3 hours/ Stay overnight in Lang Co – Resort
Day 11: Lang Co – Hoi An
– Leave Lang Co for a challenging biking today: Getting over the Hai Van Pass. Start biking from the resort and quickly getting uphill along the large former highway 1A which is now become quiet thanks to the construction of the tunnel. It takes about 2.5 hours to cycle up to the top of the pass. And about 1 hour to get downhill to the Red Beach on the southern side of the mountain range. This portion offers spectacular view of Da Nang Bay as well as beautiful nature of Truong Son Mountain range.
– Lunch in Da Nang, paying visit to Cham Sculpture Museum before continue biking along the beautiful coatal road to Hoi An with an hour stop at the mid way to visit the Marble Mountain.
– Arriving in Hoi An at about 05.00pm, check in hotel and free to relax.
Day summary: Road transfer 10km/ biking 65km approx 5 hours/ Stay overnight in Hoi An – Hotel or beach resort.
Day 12: Hoi An – Quang Ngai – 151km
– Leave Hoi An on bike along the country tarmac along Thu Bon River for 10km to Vinh Dien. Then follow national road 1A 44km through the evergreen coastal flat land of Quang Nam Province to Tam Ky. Lunch break here.
– Transfer 38km after lunch to Tri Binh and biking from here for about 3.5 hours in the afternoon along narrower and quiet contry road through the beautiful region along the coast, passing several historical sites of the war against the US such as: Chu Lai marine base, Van Tuong battle field and especially My Lai Village. Spend 1/2 hour to visit My Lai before processing to Quang Ngai.
– Check in hotel, relax and dinner.
Day summary: Road transfer 38 to km/ biking 113km approx 6 hours/ Stay overnight in Quang Ngai.
Day 13: Quang Ngai – Binh Dinh – Quy Nhon – 173km
– Leave Quang Ngai for 21km road transfer along the busy traffic of road 1A to Mo Duc Town let. Then start biking from here along the beautiful asphalt serface of national road 1A which winds its way up and down the hilly region of the coastal trip under shade of coconut plantions, passing many fishing villages to Sa Huynh which is famous for beautiful scenery where the mountain meets the see(biking 46km)
– Enjoy an hour sweeming in the emerald water of the see and on the white sandy beach before lunch.
– Green Trail Tours Transfer after lunch about 1.5 hour to Ngo May town let and afternoon biking starts from here for nearly 3 hours to Quy nhon. Arriving to hotel at about 05.30pm, check in and free to relax on the beach.
Day summary: Road transfer 86km/ biking 87km approx 5 hours/ Stay overnight in Quy Nhon – Hoang Anh Resort – 4 star
Day 14: Quy Nhon – Tuy Hoa(Phu Yen) – 94km
– Start biking right from the resort along the 1B road for challenging with the Quy Hoa Pass which runs along the coastal line and offers stunning panorama of the Quy Nhon Bay. Cycling downhill and later along beautiful road with great view of Van Phong Bay to Deo Nai Pass which offers another challenge before lunch break in Song Cau Town let(41km)
– Continue biking for the whole afternoon along beautiful coastal region via Chi Thanh to Phu Vang town let. Stop biking from here for 10km road transfer to the center of Tuy Hoa, the central city of Phu yen Province. Check in hotel, freshen up, dinner and free to explore this beautiful city on the bank of Tuy Phong Bay.
Day summary: Road transfer 10km/ biking 84km approx 6 hours/ Stay overnight in Tuy Hoa – Hotel.
Day 15: Tuy Hoa – Nha Trang – 149km
– Today morning, the biking road is beautiful but having 2 changes: Getting over two passes: The Ca Pass and Co Ma Pass. Start biking from hotel and challenging uphill 28km to the top of Ca Pass. From the top, getting gradually downhill to Vung Ro, this portion probably offers the most stunning scenery of the mountains and sea combination(11km).
– Take a break at Vung Ro before enjoying conquering Co Ma Pass and then having an hour relaxing on white sandy beach of Dai Lanh before lunch.
– Transfer for an hour after lunch to Ninh Hoa and then biking again from mid afternoon along coastal road of Van Phong Bay and then cycling over the Bach Ma Pass before arriving to Nha Trang. Check in hotel and free to explore this famous coastal city.
Day summary: Road transfer 69km/ biking 80km approx 6 hours/ Stay overnight in Nha Trang – Hotel.
Day 16: Nha Trang – Da Lat – 137km
– Leave Nha Trang for the whole morning biking along a narrow tarmac which runs along the Cau River through peaceful countryside of Dien Khanh District with several historical relics of the CHAMPA culture. Arriving to Tra Lien Commune at noon, enjoy lunch break here.
– Afternoon road to Da Lat winds its way up steep mountains through thick rain forest and passing remote tribal villages. So due to tough terrain, biking is possible but for some short distance only. So biking plan today afternoon is let opned for flexibility.
– Arriving to Da Lat at about 5.00pm, check in hotel and free to explore this charming city which is named the Jade of the Central Highland.
Day summary: Road transfer 67km/ biking 70km approx 5 hours/ Stay overnight in Da Lat.
Day 17: Da Lat – Di Linh – Dai Ninh – Mui Ne(Phan Thiet) – 165km
– Leave Da Lat for 2 hours road trasnfer through the Di Linh Highland to the top of Dai Ninh Pass(94km). Start biking from the top of the pass mostly downhill heading east to the coastal area, passing through highland which covered by thick forest and coffee plantation, and later the midland with lush cashewnut farms and then to the coastal plain with large villages surrounded by rice fields and coconut farms. Lunch break for an hour in Kim Sa Coomune.
– Afternoon biking takes two hours through the densely populated plain of Binh Thuan Province busy with daily activities of the local farmers doing their everyday works such as ploughing, harrowing or harvesting…
– Arriving to the junction with national road 1A at about 3.30pm, stop biking for 20km road trasnfer to Phan Thiet, check in a beach resort and free at leisure.
Day summary: Road transfer 100km/ biking 65km approx 4 to 5 hours/ Stay overnight in Phan Thiet – beach resort.
Day 18: Mui Ne – Binh Chau – Vung Tau – 162km
– Leaving Mui Ne after breakfast, take 25km road transfer along the coastal road, heading south through Phan Thiet City. Start biking from Tien Binh Commune for the whole morning along the coastal road to Ham Tan Town let. Stops along the way for photos and visiting the Ke Ga Penisular.
– Lunch break in Ham Tien, and continue biking for about 2 hours in the afternoon to Phuoc Buu. Picked up from here for road trasnfer to Vung Tau City. Check in hotel near the beach upon arrival and then relax
Day summary: Road transfer 82km/ biking 80km approx 5 hours/ Stay overnight in Phan Thiet – beach resort.
Day 19: Vung Tau – TP Ho Chi Minh
– Take hydrofoil from Vung Tau boat pier to Ho Chi Minh City. Picked up upon arrival and transfer to hotel for check in.
Day 20: Sai Gon – Cu Chi
– Morning visit to Cu Chi Tunnel.
Day 21: Ho Chi Minh City – Departure
We can tailor make a tour that will best match your budget – the guide below serves as a reference point for you to decide how much to spend on this trip.
LOWER BUDGET THAN THIS?
Budget lower than $(this price) in per person?
We surely can help
As our price is set according to the length of itinerary and the detailed program given, we can make changes in this tour to help you keep your budget.Etc…
Below are some possible changes to make your tour fit better in your budget
we can customize this tour with shorter duration.Etc…
some activities and tours can be in a group and non-private.Etc…
We can look into lower budget hotel for you without compromising the quality.Etc…
We can change the itinerary that fits your expectation and budget requirement.Etc…
ABOUT $(This Price) in PER PERSON
How our prices work:
All of the portion of the tour are private (unless otherwise stated): airport pick up, guided tour, etc. Price is based on 2 people travelling together so if you are a single person, the price may differ. We place a strong focus on both individualized experience and value for money – so please enjoy your tour booking process with us with peace of mind.